Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey MLA today announced her plans for the extension of the welfare mitigations to the bedroom tax beyond 31 March 2020.
The mitigation scheme currently provides financial support to people who would otherwise have lost out due to welfare cuts.
An estimated 38,000 households are in receipt of supplementary payments which protects them from the bedroom tax.
Minister Hargey said: “We have a responsibility to protect the poorest and most vulnerable in society. I am pleased to announce that today the Executive agreed to my recommendation, in line with New Decade, New Approach, for the urgent extension of the bedroom tax mitigation beyond March 2020.
“In the coming weeks I will introduce new legislation to extend this essential mitigation, which will continue to safeguard more than 38,000 of the most vulnerable households in our society from harsh Tory welfare cuts.”
The Minister continued: “A society is judged on how we protect the most disadvantaged. I am a Minister who will fight to protect those families living in poverty; low-income families, single-parent families, those with disabilities and children and young people. I am working hard to target resources towards those most in need.”
The Minister concluded: “There are also other mitigations which need to be looked at as we review the mitigation measures we committed to in ‘New Decade, New Approach’. I will continue to work with stakeholders in moving forward with that important piece of work.”
Notes to editors:
- The Social Size Sector Criteria (commonly known as “Bedroom Tax”) welfare mitigation scheme was one of a range of mitigation measures as agreed by the Executive as part of the Fresh Start Agreement.
- Media enquiries to DfC Press Office on 028 9082 3512 or email email@example.com. Out of hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on Twitter @CommunitiesNI
- COVID-19 Service Updates 07 August 2020
- Dates agreed to allow the re-opening of theatres and concert halls 06 August 2020
- Communities Minister announces £3.2m COVID funding boost 05 August 2020
- Minister Ní Chuilín to reconvene Partnership Panel 05 August 2020