Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey has announced that a site owned by her Department is to be transferred to local community organisation Brownlow Ltd under the Community Asset Transfer (CAT) programme.
CAT is an Executive policy developed in 2015 to provide a framework to facilitate community ownership of public sector assets, and responsibility for the policy lies with the Department for Communities.
Brownlow Ltd has been leasing the site since 1991, and with the Department’s permission, had developed the Bluestone Business Park on the land. With the end of another lease period approaching, Brownlow Ltd asked the Department to consider whether the site could be transferred to them under the CAT initiative.
Minister Hargey said:
"Community Asset Transfer is an important tool for creating opportunities to build community wealth. Brownlow Ltd has a strong track record of promoting and assisting local entrepreneurs through its Bluestone Business Park facilities and local activities, and I welcome the opportunity that CAT offers to help them build on that success.”
Dian Heaney MBE, Chairperson of Brownlow Ltd added:
“On behalf of the Board and all members of Brownlow Limited, we would like to express our gratitude to the Minister, Deirdre Hargey, MLA and the Department for Communities for their support, encouragement and recognition, of our continuing endeavours to improve the economic and community wellbeing of the Brownlow area, through the transfer of this parcel of land.”
Notes to editors:
1. Media enquiries to DFC Press Office on email Press Office
2. The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
3. Follow us on twitter @CommunitiesNI
- New Lower Shankill park officially opened 29 September 2023
- Statistics on engagement in culture, arts, heritage and sport released 28 September 2023
- ‘Move to UC’ to begin next month 26 September 2023
- Department for Communities commits to more investment in Warrenpoint Front Shore 21 September 2023