Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey has announced a series of virtual job fairs being piloted by the Department for Communities over the next few months.
The innovative pilot programme has been introduced as an alternative to physical job fairs which have been suspended due to Covid-19 restrictions.
The virtual job fair series will include regional, sectoral and council-partnered events and will begin with a regional job fair in the North West on Thursday, 4 March.
Minister Hargey said:
“Each year my Department hosts a series of face-to-face job fairs which bring together a wide range of employers and jobseekers to showcase available employment opportunities.
“However, due to the challenges faced by the Covid-19 pandemic these have had to be suspended.
“After exploring alternatives to physical events, I have progressed this innovative digital approach to assisting jobseekers which will allow opportunities to be accessed virtually.”
The online virtual platform being piloted will include a ‘lobby’ area which will display and guide jobseekers to participating employers and other support organisations.
Jobseekers will be able to: choose which employers or organisations to visit; view suitable vacancies; and connect with individual employers directly for details and advice.
The Minister continued:
“As we move through these unprecedented and challenging times, it is important that we explore all opportunities to support those in the job market.
“I would encourage jobseekers and employers to get involved in any of the events scheduled for their chosen area.
“It is hoped that this approach can then be expanded and developed as we continue to plan our recovery from this crisis.”
The first of the virtual job fairs will take place on Thursday 4 March 2021. Details of this and other events will be advertised on the Department for Communities social media outlets and JobCentre Online.
Notes to editors:
2. Media enquiries to DFC Press Office
3. The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
4. Follow us on twitter @CommunitiesNI
- Hargey: ‘I am more determined than ever to deliver a new stadium at Casement Park’ 28 July 2021
- Minister Hargey urges DWP to retain £20 Universal Credit uplift 27 July 2021
- Hargey welcomes the safe reopening of theatres and indoor concert settings 26 July 2021
- Minister Hargey continues to promote LGBTQI+ inclusion and visibility 23 July 2021