The appearance of eight laneways in Newtownards and Holywood are to be improved with a £105,000 investment.
The regeneration works, which follow on from significant public realm works in both towns, will bring these linking laneways in both towns up to the same standard. Improvements will include new paving, kerbing, lighting and drainage.
The Department for Communities is investing £94,500 with Ards and North Down Borough Council investing a further £10,500 to make improvements to the following laneways:-
Holywood – Patton’s Lane and Gray’s Lane
Newtownards - Meetinghouse Lane, Price’s Lane, Anne Street, North Street, Mary Street and Brewery Lane.
Director of the Regional Development Office at the Department for Communities, Damian Mulholland, said: “The laneways project will complement the significant improvements that have already been made in both towns by making the laneways more accessible and more attractive for people to use, and will hopefully improve those much needed connections with areas outside the town centres.”
Works are expected to commence late in 2018 and complete early 2019. The Council will be monitoring the construction work closely to ensure disruption is kept to a minimum.
Mayor of Ards and North Down, Councillor Richard Smart, said: “This project is an addition to our continued public realm and revitalisation work which has already greatly enhanced the identity and character of our five towns making them more attractive places to live, work and visit. Laneways are an integral and multi-purpose part of our public realm, creating better connections and more amenable spaces.”
Notes to editors:
- The works will be delivered by the Department for Infrastructure
- Media enquiries to DfC Press Office on 028 9082 3505 or email: email@example.com Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 90378110
- Follow us on Twitter
- Benefit fraud weekly review 12 November 2018
- Confiscation Order against Cookstown man 09 November 2018
- Extension of appointments to the Ministerial Advisory Group for Architecture and the Built Environment in Northern Ireland 08 November 2018
- Northern Ireland once again seek World Cup success in Mexico 07 November 2018