Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey MLA advised that her Department has been working with the big retailers to facilitate priority delivery slots for those who have been advised to shield by their GPs
Asda, Iceland, Sainsbury’s and Tesco have now confirmed they will allocate a proportion of online delivery slots to this group who need it most.
Minister Hargey said:
“This is a very challenging time for all of us. Almost 80,000 people here have been contacted by their GP advising that they should self-isolate to protect themselves from COVID-19. This means that they should not go out for exercise or shopping at this time.
“I am therefore delighted that my Department has worked with colleagues in the Health and Social Care Board to put a system in place to help those people secure a prioritised online delivery slot with Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury’s and Iceland.”
Explaining how this system will work the Minister continued:
“To register your interest, you first must complete a short online form on NI Direct. It will ask you to confirm if your GP has advised you to self-isolate, your name, address and email, and that you agree for us to share your data.
“My Department will then check your eligibility and share your details with the four retailers. The retailers will contact you directly to advise what delivery slots are available.
“Work continues to examine the ways in which support of this type could be provided to all of those most vulnerable.”
Welcoming the announcement Health Minister Robin Swann said:
“This is a worrying time for everyone and even more so for those who have been advised to shield. This collaboration between the Department for Communities, the HSCB and retailers will provide peace of mind to our most vulnerable, knowing that they have access to this essential service and will be able to get the food that they need, delivered straight to their home.
“Finding a solution that was safe and secure was a huge undertaking and I am grateful to all those who have worked hard to make this happen.”
To register, please visit NI Direct at https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/services/priority-online-food-delivery
Notes to editors:
- Media enquiries to DfC Press Office on email email@example.com Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on Twitter @CommunitiesNI
- Sports stars inspire 700 primary school children to become 'more active, more of the time' at Department for Communities' Celebration of Sport 24 March 2023
- Publication of the Duncairn Gardens Development Study for Belfast 22 March 2023
- Discovery phase for ‘Move to UC’ to begin in April 22 March 2023
- Public consultation launched on a prospective Scheme of Delegation for decisions of the Charity Commission for Northern Ireland 20 March 2023