Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey has wished local athletes taking part in the Tokyo Olympics every success as the games get underway.
The Minister said:
“To be an Olympian and represent your country at the Olympic Games is an amazing sporting achievement. It is the realisation of many years of dedicated hard work and I am extremely proud of all our athletes who have qualified for the Games.
“Each competitor has a strong support network behind them, including family, friends, coaches, sports governing bodies – I applaud them all for helping our athletes achieve their dream of representing us at one of the World’s greatest sporting events.
“Sport has such a positive impact on our lives, both physically and mentally so I am particularly pleased that we have Olympians who are such great role models and ambassadors and who’s achievements will no doubt encourage more young people to participate in sport and to realise their own dreams and ambitions.”
The Minister concluded:
“I look forward to watching our Olympians and hopefully we will see some medals coming back from Tokyo.”
Notes to editors:
- Media enquiries to the DfC Press Office
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on Twitter @CommunitiesNI
- Hargey launches new sports capital works programme 17 September 2021
- Hargey launches £5m fund to retain skills in the creative sector 15 September 2021
- Hargey vows to oppose ‘inhumane’ deportation plans 15 September 2021
- Developing Women in the Community Programme is now open for applications 14 September 2021