Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey MLA has welcomed the confirmation provided to the Executive that council workers can apply for Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme (CJRS).
The Minister said:
“Officials in my Department have been working with Councils, to understand the extent to which councils can manage the COVID-19 situation by making use of the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme (CJRS).
“As a result of this work and discussions with the Department of Finance, I can confirm that Councils are eligible to apply to furlough staff through the CJRS.
“My priority has been to ensure that the rights of workers are respected and to protect jobs.
“This is a very difficult time for everybody. Our eleven councils provide very important functions and services, continuing to do so during this emergency and looking ahead, councils need to be ready to play their part in the economic recovery.
“I am pleased to be able to provide clarity about this issue and most importantly to ensure that council workers jobs are protected.”
Notes to editors:
- Media enquiries to DFC Press Office on email firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on twitter @CommunitiesNI
- Member appointments to the Northern Ireland Local Government Officers’ Superannuation Committee 26 May 2020
- Re-Opening of Outdoor Spaces at State Care Monuments 26 May 2020
- Hargey encourages landlords and tenants to work together 22 May 2020
- Extension of appointment to the Board of Ulster Supported Employment Ltd 21 May 2020