Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey today visited Fivemiletown Library in advance of work to build a new library on the existing site on Main Street.
The business case to redevelop Fivemiletown Library at a cost of £1.5m was approved by the Department in 2021. The Department has provided Libraries NI with £500,000 this financial year to support completion of the procurement process and commencement of construction during 2021. It is anticipated the project will be completed in autumn 2022.
Speaking after visiting Fivemiletown Library Minister Hargey said:
“Our public libraries and the services they provide are highly valued by the communities they serve, and that is particularly the case for those libraries that serve our rural communities. It has been evident for some time now that Fivemiletown Library is in need of redevelopment. I am therefore extremely pleased that my Department has been able to provide Libraries NI with the necessary funding to be able to progress this important project. I very much look forward to seeing the new library building which will provide a welcoming space for all to read, learn and be together.”
Trisha Ward, Director of Library Services, added:
“We were delighted to welcome Minister Hargey and to have an opportunity to show her the impact a new library will have. The Minister was able to visit the current premises and see, for herself, plans which will enable us to provide a public library service which supports societal wellbeing. Libraries are free, inclusive, accessible spaces and the new library will be a hub for the local community.”
Notes to editors:
- Caption: Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey is pictured during a visit to Fivemiletown Library with Trisha Ward, Director of Library Services and Michelle Gildernew, MP for Fermanagh and South Tyrone
- Media enquiries to DfC Press Office on email
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on twitter @CommunitiesNI
- Hargey: ‘I am more determined than ever to deliver a new stadium at Casement Park’ 28 July 2021
- Minister Hargey urges DWP to retain £20 Universal Credit uplift 27 July 2021
- Hargey welcomes the safe reopening of theatres and indoor concert settings 26 July 2021
- Minister Hargey continues to promote LGBTQI+ inclusion and visibility 23 July 2021