Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey set out her plans to deliver over 100,000 homes, as her draft Housing Supply Strategy is launched for public consultation.
Minister Hargey said:
“This Strategy is to deliver 100,000 plus homes over its 15 year lifetime. I want at least a third of these homes to be social homes. These homes will be high quality and deliver for a wide range of needs, including the needs of our ageing population, those with disabilities and our children and young people.
“Transforming housing supply will require a collective response from the Executive and real collaboration. It must major on engaging with those people who are in housing need. This approach is built on the principle that those who are most affected by poor housing are best placed to help design or redesign it. “
This consultation period will run from today until 9 February 2022.
The Minister continued
“Access to a safe and secure home is a basic human right – I have set out how I will build quality homes where they are needed. My department is seeking your views on my draft Housing Supply Strategy”
“Your participation in this stage of the Strategy development is critical and I would urge you to get involved “
“Everyone should have access to a safe, secure and affordable place to call home – lets make this happen”
A series of online workshops will also run throughout the duration of the consultation. Details of how to register for can be found here
Notes to editors:
- The draft Housing Supply Strategy has been informed and shaped by the findings of the Call for Evidence held earlier this year.
- The supply of housing across all tenures needs to increase to meet the needs and demands of our changing population and is central to reducing housing stress, homelessness and improving housing solutions for the most vulnerable. As well as this, it is about providing quality homes in places where people want to live.
- Responsibility in delivering more housing rests with many and, therefore, the solutions are something we must design and tackle together.
- In Line with the NICS Digital First principle, responses to this consultation should be made online via the Citizenspace survey. The consultation site fully complies with Web Content Accessibility v2.1
- It is intended the Strategy will cover the period 2022-2037.
- The Call for Evidence was launched on 19 May 2021.
- The draft Housing Supply Strategy is available in alternative formats upon request from this Department at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The development of a Housing Supply Strategy was announced by Minister Ni Chuilin to the Assembly on 3 November 2020. It is the intention that the Strategy will be delivered for Executive consideration by Spring 2022
- Media enquiries to DfC Press Office
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on twitter @CommunitiesNI
- Hargey visits Omagh to view recent regeneration projects 16 August 2022
- Hargey thanks outgoing Discretionary Support Commissioner 15 August 2022
- Minister urges people to ‘Make the Call’ as cost of living crisis deepens 12 August 2022
- Minister Hargey views improvements to Lanark Way junction, Belfast 11 August 2022