Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey will provide an additional £10 million funding for Councils Rates Support Grant bringing it to £21.9m for 2021/22.
A Rates Support Grant provides financial support to eligible councils whose needs exceed their wealth as determined by statutory formula. Seven of the 11 councils are eligible.
Minister Hargey said: “I am delighted to be able to confirm that the Rates Support Grant has been bolstered by additional funding, bringing it to £21.9m. This is on top of the £102m my department has made available to councils over the pandemic.
“The additional funding to the Rates Support Grant will be welcomed by the eligible councils and greatly assist them in delivering the important services that they provide to rate payers.
“I will be engaging with councils on this additional funding before rates are set in February so they can factor this into their considerations.
“I will continue to work closely with local councils to protect the important work they do.”
Notes to editors:
- Media enquiries to DfC Press Office on email Press Office
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on twitter @CommunitiesNI
- Hargey: I am determined that my department will continue to deliver for all those who are in need 19 May 2022
- Applications open for the All-Ireland Heritage Skills Programme 06 May 2022
- Competition to appoint the Chair to the Board of the Northern Ireland Housing Executive. 07 April 2022
- Hargey announces establishment of Child Funeral Fund 27 March 2022