Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey has welcomed the unveiling of major restoration works at the Grand Opera House, as work continues towards safely getting live audiences back into theatres.
In January 2020, the Grand Opera House closed for a £12.2million restoration and development project. The Department for Communities provided £524,000 capital funding, through Arts Council, for the purchase of new seating for the restoration project.
During a visit to the historic Belfast theatre, Minister Hargey said:
“I’m delighted to see the redevelopment of one of our most iconic theatres.
“I’m looking forward to when performers from across the spectrum, including the world of musicals, comedy, dance, opera, ballet and pantomime will be able to get back on the stage and enjoy the reactions and applause from the audience.”
Since 2020, the Department and Arts Council has contributed more than £2m towards the Grand Opera House through a number of funding programmes including more than £700,000 in emergency Covid support.
Minister Hargey added:
“These major renovations works will be key in drawing audiences back into live theatre, and helping to contribute to post-Covid social, economic, and cultural recovery.
“I will continue to do everything I can to help the sector during this hugely difficult time.”
Notes to editors:
- Caption: Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey is pictured outside the Grand Opera House with Colin Loughran, Chairman Grand Opera House Trust.
- Media enquiries to DfC Press Office on email
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on twitter @CommunitiesNI
- Hargey launches Queen’s Quay development consultation 29 November 2021
- Hargey launches award scheme which promotes use of Irish language 25 November 2021
- Seolann Hargey scéim dhuaise a chuireann úsáid na Gaeilge chun cinn 25 November 2021
- Minister Hargey officially opens new community park and sports zone at Westlink Back Path in Belfast 24 November 2021