A £950,000 fund to support the voluntary and community sector has been launched by Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey.
The Small Capital Grants Programme, which is delivered by Co-operation Ireland, is aimed at assisting voluntary and community organisations purchase items of equipment to enhance and sustain the activities and services they provide to the community.
Launching the fund, Minister Hargey said:
“I am very aware of the difficulties the sector has faced over the last year and now, as we emerge from lockdown and venues begin to re-open, funding from this programme is more important than ever in helping groups to purchase much needed items of equipment that will help to minimise any disruption to the services that people rely so heavily upon.
“These grants can make a difference and they help to support voluntary and community organisations to provide vital services to local communities. I am pleased that this funding is reaching those most in need.”
The programme provides grants of between £1,500 and £5,000 towards the purchase of items such as IT equipment, sporting equipment, catering equipment and material to support arts and cultural activities within the voluntary and community sector. Applications are invited from constituted organisations that have an annual unrestricted income of no more than £100,000.
Peter Sheridan, Chief Executive of Co-operation Ireland, added:
“We are delighted to assist in the delivery of the Small Capital Grants Programme which is in keeping with Co-operation Ireland’s ethos of encouraging partnership and collaboration. We thank the Minister for her commitment to the programme and look forward to building relationships with the hundreds of community groups who will benefit from this much needed programme”.
Further details on how to apply are available on the Co-operation Ireland website
Notes to editors:
- Caption: Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey is pictured with Peter Sheridan, Chief Executive of Co-operation Ireland to launch the Small Capital Grants Programme.
- Media enquiries to DFC Press Office
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
Follow the Department on Twitter @CommunitiesNI
- Hargey launches new sports capital works programme 17 September 2021
- Hargey launches £5m fund to retain skills in the creative sector 15 September 2021
- Hargey vows to oppose ‘inhumane’ deportation plans 15 September 2021
- Developing Women in the Community Programme is now open for applications 14 September 2021