Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey has tasked officials to focus policies and funding on supporting people through the cost of living crisis.
The Minister today said she is listening to families and workers who are struggling to make ends meet and is committed to responding to the issue by ensuring the department’s resources are effectively targeted to those who are in need.
Following a meeting with the department’s Permanent secretary Colum Boyle and senior team on budget planning, Minister Hargey said:
“I am committed to continuing to support workers, families and communities who are experiencing real hardship. To giving them the helping hand they need to heat their homes, to put a meal on the table.
“Of course we know that the absence of a functioning Executive and no budget in place for this year, makes the challenge all the greater. Vital funding is locked away. New laws cannot be made.
“But we have a track record here for making things happen, for achieving positive change.
“I am determined that my department will continue to deliver for all those who are in need.
“I have tasked my officials to fully explore and expedite all of the options open to us.
“And I will continue to meet with local organisations and community groups to hear more about what is happening on the ground, to listen to their concerns and to find out about creative partnerships that are making a real difference.”
Notes to editors:
- Photo caption: Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey is pictured with the Permanent Secretary for the Department, Colum Boyle.
- Following the resignation of the First Minister on 3 February 2022, the 2022-23 Draft Budget process was paused and the Finance Minister announced that departments would have to rely on contingency arrangements to allow spend to be incurred in the year ahead, ensuring that services are maintained but new areas of spend could not proceed.
- Colum Boyle took up post as Permanent Secretary of Department for Communities (DfC) on 25 April 2022. He had previously been interim Permanent Secretary in Department of Finance and prior to this had been the Deputy Secretary for the Work & Health Group in DfC.
- Media enquiries to DfC Press Office on 028 9082 3516 or email: Press Office
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The Duty Press Officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @CommunitiesNI
- Department launches recruitment competition for new Discretionary Support Commissioner 20 June 2022
- Hargey urges people to ‘Make the Call’ to maximise benefit support 17 June 2022
- Cost-of-living crisis hitting vital community services - Hargey 16 June 2022
- Hargey confirms cost-of-living payments 15 June 2022