Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey convened a meeting of the Strategic Partnership Group which was set up to address anti-social behaviour in the University and Lower Ormeau areas of Belfast.
The Minister convened the meeting today (Monday 26 September 2022) to review the progress being made on tackling the longstanding issues.
Following the meeting, the Minister said:
“These are issues which require long-term solutions; they are solvable if we work together – residents, landlords, agencies, local and central government and all stakeholders in the area. I welcome the commitment of partners to work alongside me in this collective approach.
“This is a residential area and people deserve to feel safe and welcome in their own homes. It is important that those visiting and living in the wider University area show respect to both themselves and residents and I would appeal to students across the city to respect their neighbours and their new home.”
The group was set up by the Minister to address anti-social behaviour in the area.
The Department has part funded the employment of an Intervention Manager for the area and also provided £100,000 for an alleyway improvement scheme to reduce anti-social behaviour and provide better security and safety to residents.
Notes to editors:
- Photo caption: Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey is pictured at Shaftesbury Community Centre where she convened a meeting of the Strategic Partnership Group which was set up to address anti-social behaviour in the University and Lower Ormeau areas of Belfast. The Minister is pictured with members of the group including Intervention Manager Michelle Wilson (far left).
- The Partnership is chaired by Minister Hargey and members of the panel include Executive Ministers, Belfast City Council, PSNI and University representatives.
- The Department for Communities will provide £25k per annum for two years for the appointment of an Intervention Officer
- Media enquiries to DFC Press Office at email@example.com
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on twitter @CommunitiesNI
- Disability on the Record exhibition opens ahead of the UN’s International Day for Persons with Disabilities 28 November 2022
- Disability on the Record – Exhibition to celebrate International Day of Persons with Disabilities 21 November 2022
- Competition to appoint the Chair to the Board of National Museums NI 10 November 2022
- Join the conversation on the Duncairn Gardens Development Study 09 November 2022