As the Commonwealth Games draw to a close Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey has congratulated all the local athletes who participated.
The athletes won a total of 18 medals including 7 gold, 7 silver and 4 bronze – their best ever Commonwealth Games performance - as well as clocking up personal bests and setting new records.
Minister Hargey said:
“As the Commonwealth Games draw to a close I would like to pay tribute to all the local athletes who took part - and to their coaches, clubs and the sporting groups who support them.
During my visit to the Games last weekend I was able to see first-hand the skill, passion, determination and commitment that carried these dedicated sports people to their goals.
Congratulations to all those who won medals; secured personal bests; set new records and provided us all with amazing sporting displays.
Their participation and performances will have a wider impact - from grassroots to elite level - by inspiring others to get involved and encouraging all those who already take part.”
The Minister had travelled to Birmingham at the start of the Games where she met some of the athletes competing in events including boxing, lawn bowls, judo and gymnastics, and was poolside when Barry McClements picked up the first medal for Team NI.
Notes to editors:
- Photo caption 1: Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey is pictured with gymnasts (l-r) Rhys McClenaghan who won a silver medal, Ewan McAteer and Eamon Montgomery at the Commonwealth Games in Birmingham.
- Photo caption 2: Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey is pictured with para swimmer Barry McClements after he won a bronze medal at the Commonwealth Games in the men’s 100m backstroke.
- Media enquiries to DfC Press Office
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on twitter @CommunitiesNI
- Second phase of Women’s Community Programme open for applications 03 October 2022
- Hargey announces £1m investment for Dungannon Neighbourhood Renewal Area 29 September 2022
- Hargey highlights concern over cost of living pressures on vulnerable 27 September 2022
- Hargey convenes Strategic Partnership Group to discuss issues in the University and Lower Ormeau area 26 September 2022