An additional £3million is to be made available to local communities through the Community Support Programme, Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey has announced.
Minister Hargey explained:
“This funding distributed by the 11 councils will target local need by working in partnership with the local voluntary and community sector to ensure the delivery of better, more responsive services and better outcomes for communities.
“During the pandemic advice organisations on the ground have been crucial in providing emergency response to those struggling and their services will continue to be critical in assisting community recovery in the months ahead, particularly with the ending of Furlough and the £20 cut to Universal Credit.”
The funding will support council-managed community development and advice services.
The Community Support Programme currently supports the provision of community centres, local advice services, resource centres, grants to community groups and the employment of community support staff in councils.
The Minister continued
“During 2020/21 my Department distributed almost £12m to councils through the Community Support Programme. These programmes included interventions relating to keeping people connected including digitally, wellbeing support such as befriending, providing access to food and support for families in financial hardship.
“I also want to thank the councils for maintaining this frontline support to communities, which for many people is a lifeline. The additional £3m support will ensure the increased delivery of independent, community based services to meet demand.”
Notes to editors:
- The funding is part of the £50.3m agreed by The Executive on 24 May 2021
- A breakdown of council funding is available upon request. Funding varies from £134,000 to £1m and allocations are based on factors including levels of deprivation.
- Media enquiries to DfC Press Office.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
Follow us on twitter @CommunitiesNI
- Communities Minister removes significant barrier to employment for parents 25 October 2021
- Hargey announces £37m housing project for Upper New Lodge 22 October 2021
- People who ‘Make the Call’ £90 a week better off, on average 20 October 2021
- Ending of the House Sales Scheme for tenants of Registered Housing Associations 20 October 2021