Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey has announced a £230,000 investment in Craigavon town centre.
Work is due to get underway later this month on public realm improvements including new seating, lighting and bollards at Craigavon Lakes and the installation of new signage around the wider town centre.
Minister Hargey stated
“My Department has shown its commitment to supporting our town and city centres over many years. More recently we are all aware of the impact of COVID-19 on our communities, businesses and town centres.
“I have sought to support our high streets and town centres with additional support via the COVID-19 Recovery Revitalisation Programme which has seen £2.2m allocated to the ABC Council area to provide support across a number of schemes including an urban and rural business grant scheme; PA systems in both Banbridge and Dromore; social distancing & outdoor event infrastructure; and gateway improvements to Portadown centre to name but a few.
“This latest investment will deliver improvements to Craigavon by enhancing the streetscape and providing fresh signage throughout the town centre.
“I am sure the investment will be welcomed as we continue to work closely with our partners in the council to regenerate our towns and cities.”
Councillor Brian Pope, Chair of Economic Development and Regeneration Committee stated:
“Council is delighted to once again partner with Department for Communities to deliver public realm improvements in Craigavon town centre. These works highlight our joint commitment to investing, delivering real change and encouraging active travel across the area.”
Notes to editors:
- Media enquiries to DfC Press Office.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service For Media Enquiries Only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on twitter @CommunitiesNI
- Hargey: ‘I am more determined than ever to deliver a new stadium at Casement Park’ 28 July 2021
- Minister Hargey urges DWP to retain £20 Universal Credit uplift 27 July 2021
- Hargey welcomes the safe reopening of theatres and indoor concert settings 26 July 2021
- Minister Hargey continues to promote LGBTQI+ inclusion and visibility 23 July 2021