A £250,000 revitalisation scheme to support local businesses in Dromore has been announced by Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey.
The news comes as the Minister welcomed the recent completion of the £1.4m public realm scheme in the town centre.
The revitalisation funding will help enhance shop frontages, address derelict sites, encourage a pavement culture and improve signage in to the town.
Minister Hargey said:
“This is a welcome boost for Dromore. My Department is investing a further £250,000 to support Dromore town centre after it has undergone substantial improvements to its streetscape through the recently completed public realm scheme.
“The funding my Department has provided through the public realm scheme and this new revitalise scheme demonstrate my ongoing commitment to the regeneration of our town and city centres.
“This injection of funding will help to further support the area, which in turn will assist local retailers, businesses, residents and visitors. Initiatives such as these help to make our town centres more appealing and sustain our local economy, all of which contributes to the long term viability and prosperity of the towns.”
The Dromore Revitalisation Programme will be managed by Armagh City, Banbridge and Craigavon Borough Council.
Alderman Glenn Barr, Lord Mayor of Armagh City, Banbridge & Craigavon Borough Council commented:
“This is a fantastic opportunity for Dromore. As a vibrant, historic market town, with a unique location on the River Lagan and A1 economic corridor, it has so much potential to become a destination of choice. We look forward to realising these ambitious plans, which will further enhance the town’s offering and build upon Council’s previous regeneration initiatives. We would like to extend our gratitude to the Department for Communities and the Department for Infrastructure for making projects possible, and look forward to working with these important stakeholders, for the future benefit of our citizens, visitors and investors.”
Notes to editors:
- The Revitalisation works are due complete by end March 2023.
- The public realm scheme delivered improvements to the Market Square, Church Street and Bridge Street areas of the town
- Media enquiries to DfC Press Office.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on Twitter- @CommunitiesNI
- Communities Minister removes significant barrier to employment for parents 25 October 2021
- Hargey announces £37m housing project for Upper New Lodge 22 October 2021
- People who ‘Make the Call’ £90 a week better off, on average 20 October 2021
- Ending of the House Sales Scheme for tenants of Registered Housing Associations 20 October 2021