350 sports clubs and organisations have applied for financial assistance through the Department for Communities Hardship Fund for Sport since the scheme was launched on Monday.
The £500,000 fund, managed by SportNI, aims to provide financial assistance through a £2000 grant to sports clubs and organisations to assist with essential overheads and the costs of maintaining their facilities during the Covid-19 lockdown period.
Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey said:
“I am aware that the level of demand for financial relief through the Hardship Fund for Sport has been exceptional with over 350 applications having been received since it opened on 14 April. I have previously said that, while we want to do as much as we can for the sector, we always knew that this Fund would not meet the needs of everyone in the sport sector.
“In order to meet that huge scale in demand I am pleased that the initial funding of £500,000 has been increased by a further £250,000 through the reallocation of exchequer funding from Sport NI programmes. The level of demand for the scheme is exceptional and shows that there is a significant need across the sports sector at this time. The funding will go a long way to ensuring that clubs and organisations continue to exist, that facilities are maintained and that the sector is ready when the lockdown restrictions start to be relaxed.”
The Minister added:
“The success of the scheme has however financial implications and I regret that for now the scheme has had to be suspended pending the assessment of those applications that have already been submitted. The suspension of the scheme will be kept under review and I would hope, subject to additional funding becoming available, to be able to open the scheme again in the future.”
Notes to editors:
- The Hardship Fund for Sport is funded by DfC and managed and administered by Sport NI.
- More details are available on the Sport NI website
- Media enquiries to DfC Press Office press.Office@communities-ni.gov.uk. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on Twitter @CommunitiesNI
- Member appointments to the Northern Ireland Local Government Officers’ Superannuation Committee 26 May 2020
- Re-Opening of Outdoor Spaces at State Care Monuments 26 May 2020
- Hargey encourages landlords and tenants to work together 22 May 2020
- Extension of appointment to the Board of Ulster Supported Employment Ltd 21 May 2020