Communities Minister, Paul Givan today visited participants on the Prince’s Trust Young Ambassador Plus Project.
The innovative volunteering project provided the opportunity for 50 unemployed young people to access formal volunteering and training opportunities to help them develop new skills to assist with their progression into training and employment. The Department for Communities Voluntary and Community Division provided £25,000 of funding to the Young Ambassador Plus project.
The Minister said: “I welcome the collaboration between my Department and the Prince’s Trust particularly as the charity is now celebrating its’ 40 year anniversary. Volunteering contributes both to our communities and to the volunteer themselves. It is essential we continue to nurture the capacity and capability that exits for volunteer, making it easier for people to donate their time and skills to assist in the provision of vital community services.
“Projects such as the Young Ambassador Plus instil the virtues of volunteering in our youth and help make the practice of volunteering part of the norm. Today I have heard positive feedback from the participants and learnt how it has increased the young people’s self-esteem, inter-personal skills and confidence.”
The project also provided an opportunity for participants to complete a bespoke accredited OCN Level 2 training qualification to compliment the skills they developed whilst volunteering.
The Minister also met with staff and volunteers from the Trust.
Notes to editors:
- The Prince’s Trust is a UK wide charity that helps young people overcome barriers and realise their potential.
- Follow us on Twitter @CommunitiesNI
- For media enquiries please contact the DfC Press Office team on 028 9082 3506 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For out of hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 07623 974383 and your call will be returned.
- DFC News Release - SUSPENDED SENTENCE FOR £40,000 BENEFIT FRAUD 18 January 2018
- DFC News Release - LONDONDERRY MAN CONVICTED OF BENEFIT FRAUD 18 January 2018
- DFC News Release - BELFAST WOMAN CONVICTED OF BENEFIT FRAUD 18 January 2018
- Community Service for £12,000 benefit fraud 16 January 2018