Communities Minister, Paul Givan visited Daisy Lodge, Cancer Fund for Children’s therapeutic short break centre in Newcastle.
The Minister received a tour of the facility and witnessed the vital services it provides to families with children affected by cancer. The tour also demonstrated how a donation of circa £10,000, from collections made at the NI Euro fanzones and homecoming event in Belfast, would benefit the centre.
The Minister said: “I am pleased to visit Daisy Lodge today, and witness the vital specialist services Cancer Fund for Children provide. I have no doubt the recent donation from the Fanzone events will benefit this important charity. Having met with staff and volunteers, I am struck by the professional and practical care, advice and support which they provide.
I acknowledge the dedication of volunteers who provide their services freely and without fail to support the work of charities such as the Cancer Fund for Children. Their ongoing efforts to volunteer their services and skills support the work of this facility and indeed, the wider community.”
Notes to editors:
- Overall the actual amount donated to the charity was £10,885.66 of which £8,371 was raised from tickets for the Homecoming Event. The Homecoming Event, which was supported by the Department for Communities, resulted in over £8,300 being raised for Cancer Fund for Children through the sale of tickets for the event. This added to the money collected during all the matches screened at the Fanzones and the Homecoming Event made for a contribution of over £10,800
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Communities Press Office on 028 9082 9295 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07699 715440 and your call will be returned.
- Department launches recruitment competition for new Discretionary Support Commissioner 20 June 2022
- Hargey urges people to ‘Make the Call’ to maximise benefit support 17 June 2022
- Cost-of-living crisis hitting vital community services - Hargey 16 June 2022
- Hargey confirms cost-of-living payments 15 June 2022