Communities Minister, Paul Givan today opened a new social enterprise outlet at Ulster Supported Employment and Learning (USEL) selling bedding materials.
USEL boasts a manufacturing operation that employs a high number of people with a range of disabilities, producing a range of products such as fashion satchels, portable kits for emergency services and an extensive array of bedding materials.
Speaking during organisation’s open day event, Minister Givan said: “My Department supports the role that USEL plays in this local community. Through its range of employment and training services, as well as these new and exciting social enterprise ventures, it is creating a clear and seamless pathway that prepares people with disabilities and health conditions for employment, and then critically, offers them the opportunity to demonstrate their ability to find and sustain paid employment.
“Through the recent mattress recycling initiative with Belfast City Council, and now the opening of a new bedding sales outlet here in Cambrai Street, USEL is positioning itself and its dedicated workforce on the local economic landscape.
“In doing so, I sincerely hope that it sends a clear message to other employers and society in general, that people with disabilities want to make a positive contribution to their own community, and provided they are given the opportunity, are more than capable of doing so.’
Notes to editors:
- Ulster Supported Employment Limited (USEL) is a Non-Departmental Public Body which was established in 1962 under the Disabled Persons (Employment) Act (NI) 1945 to provide sheltered employment for severely disabled people. Since its establishment, Ulster Supported Employment Limited (USEL) has become the largest supporter of people with disabilities into open employment within Northern Ireland
- Follow us on Twitter @CommunitiesNI
- For media enquiries please contact the DfC Press Office team on 028 9082 9295 or email Press.email@example.com. For out of hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 07699 715 440 and your call will be returned.
- Introduction of new licensing scheme for Houses in Multiple Occupation 15 March 2019
- Confiscation order against Belfast woman 15 March 2019
- History comes to life at Dundrum Castle and Grey Abbey 15 March 2019
- Planning permission approved for St Patrick’s Barracks 14 March 2019