Sports Minister Paul Givan, MLA has congratulated boxer Carl Frampton on his win against Leo Santa Cruz in New York City.
Carl Frampton is now the WBA world featherweight champion after defeating Santa Cruz late on Saturday night.
The Minister said: “Carl Frampton is now Northern Ireland’s first world boxing champion at two different weights – super bantamweight and now featherweight. This is a great achievement for Carl and for Northern Ireland.
“For our country to again ‘punch above its weight’ in sport is a great credit to all our sports men and women. Sport is a fantastic way of bringing people together and Carl and the rest of our sports people are role models to so many.
“With the Olympics and Paralympics in Rio coming up, this will be another opportunity for our home grown athletes to shine. I would like to take this opportunity to wish all the athletes going to Rio best wishes for success.
“Finally, many congratulations to Carl and his team on becoming the WBA featherweight champion of the world.”
Notes to editors:
- Follow us on Twitter - @CommunitesNI
- For media enquiries please contact the Department for Communities Press Office 028 9082 9267 or email email@example.com. For out of hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07699 715 440 and your call will be returned
- View the Carl Frampton homecoming gallery
- Job fairs go virtual in response to pandemic 26 February 2021
- Communities Minister launches public consultation on a new Strategy for Sport and Physical Activity 26 February 2021
- £25M Sports Sustainability Fund awards start to issue 25 February 2021
- Individual artists to be awarded a further £6.9 million 24 February 2021