The term of appointment of the following Members of the Board of Trustees of W5 have been extended from 1 May 2017 to 30 November 2017:
• Professor Tim Harrison (Science Specialist)
• Dr Catherine O’Mullan (Education Specialist)
They have both been on the W5 Board of Trustees since 1 May 2013.
Notes to editors:
- W5 is a company limited by guarantee with charitable status (registered with the Charity Commission for Northern Ireland NIC 100112). It is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Odyssey Trust Company Limited, a registered charity.
- The main function of W5 is to contribute to the advancement of scientific knowledge and education. W5 is a popular visitor destination – over 3.5 million people have visited the facility since it opened 15 years ago. It also plays an active and innovative role in promoting tourism and, in doing so, makes an important contribution to the local economy particularly in its contribution to the development of the Titanic Quarter where it is located.
- W5 provides creative and inspirational STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) learning experiences that add value to teachers, students and lifelong learners. It is the lead organisation for the STEM Ambassador Hub Northern Ireland.
- The Trustee positions are unpaid, they receive expenses only.
- Biographical details:
Professor Tim Harrison: Professor Harrison is currently Vice President Drug Discovery in Almac Discovery, a drug discovery company focusing on oncology. He joined Almac Sciences as Vice President Research and Development in 2006 from Merck Sharp and Dohme, one of the world’s leading international pharmaceutical companies. In addition to his Almac role, Professor Harrison is also the McClay Professor of Medicinal Chemistry at the Centre for Cancer Research and Cell Biology at Queen’s University Belfast, and is an author of more than 60 peer-reviewed scientific publications and inventor on more than 60 patents. He brings strong scientific, communication and private industry skills as well as an awareness of commercial realities to the Board of W5. Professor Harrison was also Chair of the Business Group of the Northern Ireland STEM review. He has not undertaken any political activity in the last five years and holds no other public appointments.
Dr Catherine O’Mullan: Dr O’Mullan has recently retired as Vice Principal/Director of Curriculum Northern Regional College responsible for curriculum development and delivery, and quality improvement. She has 30 years’ experience in the Further and Higher Education sector where she led significant Foundation Degree curriculum development in a range of STEM areas as well as forming strategic partnerships with a range of stakeholders including the post primary and business and industry sectors to develop bespoke skills training. Dr O’Mullan currently sits on the Odyssey Trust Company, the Board of Sport NI, for which she receives expenses only, and is a Non-Executive Director on the Western Health and Social Care Trust Board for which she receives £7,960 per annum. Dr O’Mullan is also a member of the Institute of Directors. She brings extensive experience in STEM, leadership, strategic direction and teamwork to the Board. She has not undertaken any political activity in the last five years.
- Media enquiries to DfC Press Office on 028 9082 3509 or email: email@example.com. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623 974383.
- Follow us on Twitter - @CommunitiesNI