The Department for Communities has extended the second term of appointment of the following Members of the Board of Ulster Supported Employment Ltd (USEL) from 11 April 2018 to 31 July 2018:
- Dr Gavin Adams
- Mr Aidan Bennett
They have both served on the USEL Board since 11 April 2012.
Notes to editors:
1. USEL is a Non-Departmental Public Body of the Department for Communities. It was established in 1962 to provide supported paid employment for disabled people. Approximately 70% of employees at its manufacturing facility in Belfast have a disability or heath related condition. Today USEL is the largest supporter of people with disabilities within Northern Ireland with offices in Belfast, Londonderry, Portadown and Omagh. Each year the company supports over 1500 people with disabilities in more than 750 companies to enter and sustain economic employment through its various employment programmes.
2. Board Members receive remuneration of £135 for each board meeting attended. Travel and subsistence allowances for official business will be payable. Any extra work undertaken will be paid at an hourly rate.
3. The extensions have been made in accordance with the Code of Practice for Ministerial Public Appointments issued by the Commissioner for Public Appointments NI.
4. All appointments and extension to appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees to be published.
5. Biographical details:
Dr Gavin Adams
Dr Adams is currently the Director of Business Development in Extern where he is responsible for providing leadership to Extern’s income generation, communications and marketing, and public affairs activity – skills which he brings to the USEL Board, as well as a passion for the voluntary sector. He was formerly Senior Manager for Business Development for the Royal National Institute of Blind People. He has had no political activity in the last five years.
Mr Aidan Bennett
Mr Bennett is a qualified Company Director and Business Consultant, having worked in a number of management consultancy companies. He is currently a Board Member of Relate NI. He has a strong background in governance, risk management and assurance, and is a qualified Management of Risk practitioner. He brings a wealth of such experience to the Board based on his work across the public and private sectors. He has had no political activity in the last five years.
7. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned. Media enquiries to DfC Press Office on 028 9082 3505 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623 974383.
8. Follow the Department on Twitter
- Benefit fraud weekly review 17 September 2019
- Newtownbutler man convicted for £7,000 benefit fraud 12 September 2019
- Businesses in Antrim to benefit from £100,000 investment 10 September 2019
- Belfast man convicted for £5,000 benefit fraud 10 September 2019