The Department for Communities has extended the term of appointment of two members to the Board of the Arts Council NI.
Dr Siún Hanrahan and Dr Leon Litvack had been appointed for a term of four years with effect from 1 November 2014 to 31 October 2018. Their term of appointments had been extended from 1 November 2018 to 30 April 2019. A further extension from 1 May 2019 to 31 October 2019 has now been made.
Notes to editors:
1. The Arts Council NI has a key role to play in developing and improving the knowledge, appreciation and practice of the arts, and increasing public access to and participation in the arts. It is also responsible for the distribution of Lottery grants. Its statutory functions are set out in The Arts Council (Northern Ireland) Order 1995.
2. Board Member positions are not remunerated but attract travel and subsistence allowances. They require a commitment of at least 11 days for Board meetings, four planning days and approximately six days for committee meetings plus other time associated with the position
3. In addition, all Members are expected to ensure the visibility of the Council by attending arts events on a regular basis.
4. These extensions have been made in accordance with the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland Code of Practice.
5. All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires the political activity of appointees to be published.
6. Biographical details of appointed Members:
Dr Siún Hanrahan
Dr Hanrahan is currently Head of Academic Affairs and Research at the National College of Art and Design in Dublin on an interim basis. She was previously Head of Academic Affairs and Research, and Head of Research and Postgraduate development in the National College of Art and Design. She brings experience within the arts field, as well as experience of equality issues, to the body. Dr Hanrahan does not hold any other public appointments and has not undertaken any political activity in the last 5 years.
Dr Leon Litvack
Dr Litvack is currently Vice-Chairman of National Museums Northern Ireland and a Board Member of the Charles Dickens Museum, London. For these appointments he receives expenses only. He is an academic member of staff at Queen’s University, a world-renowned authority on the life and work of Charles Dickens, and a freelance broadcaster. He was previously a Governor of the Linen Hall Library and a Board Member of the NI Community Relations Council. As a Board Member of the Arts Council of Northern Ireland, he chairs its Finance and Capital Committee. Dr Litvack brings corporate governance, finance, audit, business planning experience, and skills in equality, to the Board of the Arts Council NI. Dr Litvack does not hold any other public appointments and has not undertaken any political activity in the last 5 years.
7. Media enquiries to DFC Press Office on 028 9082 3532 or email: Press.firstname.lastname@example.org. For out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 028 9037 8110.
8. Follow us on Twitter @CommunitiesNI