The term of appointment of a Member of the Board of the Northern Ireland Housing Executive (NIHE) has been extended from 1 February 2020 to 30 June 2020 or until permanent Board Member appointments are made, whichever is earliest.
Mr Chris Welch has served on the NIHE Board since 1 August 2019.
Notes to editors:
- The NIHE is a Non-Departmental Public Body, established by the Housing Executive Act (Northern Ireland) 1971. Under this Act, the NIHE took over the housing responsibilities of 65 separate authorities and became Northern Ireland’s overall housing authority. It is currently landlord to approximately 86,500 dwellings and is one of Northern Ireland’s largest public sector organisations with a budget of over £740m and a staff of approximately 2,700. The NIHE Board is responsible for the efficient, effective and economic delivery of the Housing Executive's services. It determines policies within its overall aims and objectives and makes decisions on operational and organisational strategies.
- The current remuneration for the position of a Board Member is £6,892 per annum, with an expected time commitment of one day per month.
- This appointment has been made in accordance with the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland Code of Practice.
- All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires political activity of appointees to be published.
- Biographical details: Mr Chris Welch
Mr Welch has been a senior manager in six social housing providers, including Acclaim Housing Group, through which he has experience of contributing to planning and implementing strategy and operational responses. He also has experience of leading strategic reviews, streamlining processes and implementing improved management systems. He is a Trustee of Inspire North and a former Trustee of York CVS. He holds no other public appointments and has had no political activity during the last five years.
- Media enquiries to DFC Press Office on 02890823516 or email: Press Office. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @CommunitiesNI
- Second phase of Women’s Community Programme open for applications 03 October 2022
- Hargey announces £1m investment for Dungannon Neighbourhood Renewal Area 29 September 2022
- Hargey highlights concern over cost of living pressures on vulnerable 27 September 2022
- Hargey convenes Strategic Partnership Group to discuss issues in the University and Lower Ormeau area 26 September 2022