Social Development Minister Lord Morrow MLA, has welcomed the news that the £54,000 project to upgrade St Oliver Plunkett Youth Club in Crossmaglen has now been completed.
The project which was funded with a grant of £54,000 from the Department for Social Development’s (DSD) Areas at Risk Programme involved the upgrade of the entrance lobby and the refurbishment of a youth room together with the provision of a new range of equipment including computers. It complements a major heating upgrade which was recently completed with funding from the Big Lottery.
Lord Morrow said: “This is great news for the young people of Crossmaglen and for those who use and manage the St Oliver Plunkett Youth Club. The premises had become outdated and in much need of this funding boost which has allowed for the refurbishment and the provision of new equipment for the Club.”
The Minister took the opportunity to thank the Education and Skills Authority for its role in developing the project and for managing the contract. Lord Morrow said: “Thanks to positive partnership working of everyone involved the young people of Crossmaglen now have a state of the art youth facility which will help the Youth Club to grow and flourish and encourage more young people to avail of the activities on offer. "
Notes to editors:
- The ‘Areas at Risk Pilot Programme’ (AaR) was launched in June 2006 to provide support to communities outside the Noble 10% indicators of most disadvantaged but at risk of economic, social or environmental decline
- The programme focuses on building social cohesion within the area; confidence in dealing with neighbouring communities and building a wider sense of belonging
- For media enquiries please contact the DSD Press Office on 028 9082 9494 or you can email email@example.com. Out of office hours you can contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07699715440 and your call will be returned.
- COVID-19 Service Updates 06 April 2020
- Hargey pays tribute to the homelessness sector 06 April 2020
- Housing Executive rent increase put on hold due to Covid-19 06 April 2020
- Hargey Announces Thousands to Benefit from Food Parcels Service 05 April 2020