Speaking today in the Assembly, Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey said that so called ‘conversion therapy’ is a cruel and inhumane practice and it should be ended.
The Minister was responding to an Assembly motion which highlighted the impact of conversion therapy and called for a commitment to bring forward legislation to ban it.
Speaking afterwards, Minister Hargey said: “So called “conversion therapy” has no place in society. I know how huge the hurt and damage can be to people when they are told they need to be fixed or cured. We have heard that hurt again from people in recent days. This language and behaviour is unacceptable and should not be tolerated - it will not be included in any proposals put forward by my Department. We need to accept people for who they are and this is what I will ensure we do.
“To ensure the protection of our LGBTQI+ community, my department has taken the lead on this policy area. We need to get this policy right. My officials have commenced policy work to inform the drafting of the legislation alongside the work we are doing in the LGBTQI + Strategy. We need to be clear on what it is we are going to ban and to also look at what is already in place. Just as importantly, we need to consider how we can help and support those who have been most impacted and how we can start to repair the damage so called conversion therapy has done.
“We can provide a rights based approach framed within an International Human Rights framework. I look forward to working with everyone to bring this ban into reality. I will work to ensure we bring this forward in the right way. We need to ensure the legislation is robust in protecting those we wish to protect.”
Notes to editors:
- Media enquiries to DfC Press Office on email.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on twitter @CommunitiesNI
- Hargey welcomes return of spectators to sports events and further reopening of sports activities 13 May 2021
- Funding boost for Newry Neighbourhood Renewal Area 11 May 2021
- Hargey welcomes job opportunities for young people as JobStart scheme takes flight 10 May 2021
- Hargey updates the Housing Council on Housing Executive revitalisation 05 May 2021