Colin Glen Trust and TIDES training are working in partnership to deliver the ‘Uniting Colin and Eastside Programme’ funded through the Department for Communities (DfC).
This good relations programme aims to engage young people aged 11-16 in sport, physical and creative activities that bring communities together and improve attitudes of young people in relation to other religious, political, ethnic and marginalised communities. The programme also includes a youth leadership element involving 16-24 year olds. Part of the programme of activities is scheduled to help promote Community Relations and Cultural Awareness Week.
Colm Fanning, Social Development Manager at Colin Glen Trust said “Today up to 100 young people from the Urban Village areas of Colin and Eastside in Belfast will engage in fun and participative activities in Castlewellan Forest Park in keeping with the Community Relations and Cultural Awareness Week theme of ‘Safe space, shared place’. Young people will engage in activities such as kayaking, mountain biking, bubble football and archery. This event is part of the Uniting Colin and Eastside programme and we plan to promote good relations messages and promote understanding and respect among our young people.”
Fergus Devitt Director of Active Communities Division from DfC said “The central focus of this programme aims to recognise the role that young people can and do play in building a united community. The Uniting Colin & Eastside programme aims to use innovative ways to build good relations between communities. Today’s event at Castlewellan Forest Park is an example of how sports, physical and creative activity has the power to engage young people from different community backgrounds, promote good relations and contribute to this year’s Community Relations and Cultural Awareness Week theme of ‘Safe space, shared place’.”
Notes to editors:
- Follow us on Twitter
- Media enquiries to DfC Press Office on 028 9082 3503 or email: email@example.com. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
- Extension of Appointments to the Northern Ireland Local Government Officers Superannuation Committee (NILGOSC) 22 January 2018
- Extension of Appointments to the Board of National Museums NI 22 January 2018
- DFC News Release - SUSPENDED SENTENCE FOR £40,000 BENEFIT FRAUD 18 January 2018
- DFC News Release - LONDONDERRY MAN CONVICTED OF BENEFIT FRAUD 18 January 2018