Section 75 of the Northern Ireland Act places a statutory obligation on Public Authorities to carry out their functions with due regard to the need to promote equality of opportunity and good relations in respect of religious belief, political opinion, gender, race, disability, age, marital status, dependants and sexual orientation.
The DfC Equality scheme sets out how the Department is committed to meeting its statutory obligations on the promotion of equality and good relations under Section 75 of the Northern Ireland Act. The scheme is available in alternative format if required.
Equality Scheme Section 75 Complaints Procedure
This explains how the Department's Equality Scheme Complaints Procedure works in relation to Section 75 complaints. A Section 75 complaint can be made by a person who believes that they have been directly affected by a failure of the Department to comply with its Equality Scheme.
Annual Report to the Equality Commission for Northern Ireland
The Department's Equality Scheme commits the Department to submitting a formal review of progress, on an annual basis, to the Equality Commission, setting out the action taken to fulfil its Section 75 commitments.
Section 75 Action Plan
The Section 75 Action Plan will detail known key inequalities that exist in Northern Ireland. Some relate to the work of the Department and this plan sets out what the Department is doing and intends to do to help address these inequalities.
Disability Action Plan
The DfC Disability Action Plan sets out how the Department proposes to fulfill the duties under Section 49A of the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 in relation to its functions, for the period 2016-2017. The Plan is currently under review.
The Department is committed to publishing Screening Templates and Screening Reports containing details of all Policies screened in the quarter.
If you have any queries about any of the screening exercises completed in this quarter please contact email@example.com
Policies screened during the period: 1 April 2020 to 30 June 2020
- The Social Fund Funeral Expenses Payment (Coronavirus) (Amendment) Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2020
- Introduction of additional hearing options for Appeal Tribunal
- Grant payment towards the refurbishment of a new VOYPIC/Include Youth Shared Youth Facility
- Grant payment towards the refurbishment of a new Belfast Islamic Cultural Centre
- Flexibility of District Council meetings during Coronavirus
- Contribution to CFNI Coronavirus Community Fund
- Support for Philanthropic Giving
- Covid-19 Hardship Fund - Support to the Sports Sector
- Disability and Carer’s Support (DACS) System Deactivation Project and planned migration to DRS/CAMLite
- Amend notice to quit through the Private Tenancies (Coronavirus Modifications) Bill 2020
- Equality screening archive January to March 2020
- Equality screening archive October to December 2019
- Equality screening archive July to September 2019
- Equality screening archive April to June 2019
- Equality screening archive January to March 2019
- Equality screening archive October to December 2018
- Equality screening archive July to September 2018
- Equality screening archive April to June 2018
Section 75 Consultees
In fulfilling the Department's obligations under Section 75 of the Northern Ireland Act, the Department's Equality Scheme includes a commitment to consult with the Equality Commission and representative groups of Section 75 categories on the implementation of existing policy and creation of new policy with regards to equality of opportunity and good relations.
View the List of Section 75 Consultees
The Equality Unit in the Department has lead responsibility for helping the Department meet its statutory commitments set out in Section 75 of the Northern Ireland Act 1998. The Unit provides advice to managers and staff throughout the Department on equality matters and helps the Department meet its obligations contained in the Equality Scheme.
For more information please contact the Equality Unit
More about Section 75 and the disability duties can be found on the Equality Commission website.