The Department for Communities has today launched a public consultation on a prospective Scheme of Delegation for decisions of the Charity Commission for Northern Ireland.
This consultation is accordance with the Charities Act (Northern Ireland) 2022, which allows that the Department may make a Scheme of Delegation to permit some of the Commission’s decision-making functions to be delegated to staff, as they are in other jurisdictions.
The primary aim of the consultation is to build on information already gathered during pre-consultation on what functions of the Commission, if any, should be delegated, and to what level. It seeks to meet a recommendation from the Independent Review of Charity Regulation, relating to the introduction of such a Scheme to allow Commissioners to be more strategic in their roles.
The consultation approach will be inclusive and it will last for eight weeks, closing on 15 May 2023.
Find out more about the consultation.
The consultation will run for eight weeks from 20 March to 15 May 2023. Views are sought from charities, including their trustees, members, representative groups and beneficiaries, funders, charity lawyers, charity accountants, and members of the public who wish to contribute.
Notes to editors:
1. This consultation is in relation to a prospective Scheme of Delegation for decisions of the Charity Commission for Northern Ireland only.
2. This consultation forms a critical part of a staged process of engagement to inform a prospective Scheme. A response to the consultation will be published.
3. The Charities Act (Northern Ireland) 2022 allows that the Department for Communities may make a Scheme of Delegation for the Charity Commission for Northern Ireland and that the first Scheme must be consulted on.
4. For media queries contact the Press Office:
5. Follow us on Twitter @CommunitiesNI(external link opens in a new window / tab)
- Change in delivery of the Affordable Warmth Scheme 02 June 2023
- Competition to appoint a new Commissioner to the Board of the Charity Commission for Northern Ireland 30 May 2023
- The re-appointment of two Members to the Board of Ulster Supported Employment Ltd (USEL) 19 May 2023
- Department consults on funding challenges 10 May 2023