Kilfennan Valley Park Greenway is to be upgraded to include the installation of new pathways, lighting, crossing points and seating.
The £549,000 investment in the Waterside area of Derry~Londonderry is being funded by the Department for Communities and Derry City and Strabane District Council to significantly enhance the existing park provision.
The Greenway project will complement the new Clooney Greenway and create a sustainable travel corridor in the heart of the Waterside. New pathway links and crossing points will be constructed at Rossmore Road, Rossdale Road and Rossdowney Road to Woodburn Urban Park.
Damian Mulholland, Director of the Department for Communities North West Development Office: “This project is a great example of partnership working between Department and the Council to deliver improvements for the local community. The investment will transform the Kilfennan Valley Park and enhance the City’s outstanding Greenway Network, enabling local residents to enjoy the park more and have a healthier active lifestyle through physical and outdoor activity.”
Mayor of Derry City and Strabane District Council, Cllr John Boyle added: “This investment will be a significant valuable addition to the greenway infrastructure of the Waterside in terms of promoting healthier lifestyles and active travel. It is another example of successful partnership working between Council, statutory agencies and the community sector to bring about positive regeneration projects for the city and district. I am delighted that work on this important piece of infrastructure for the Waterside area of the city can progress so we can deliver on a greenway that will provide much needed enhanced accessibility, and additional walking and cycling opportunities for the entire community.”
The scheme has full planning permission and construction works are expected to commence in early 2019 and complete in 2020.
Notes to editors:
- Derry City and Strabane District Council will deliver the Kilfennan Valley Park Greenway to provide high quality, publicly accessible green space. The works will see the development of a new circa 2km of asphalt greenway, new lighting, seating and suitable crossing points at Rossmore, Rossdale and Rossdowney Roads
- Media enquiries to DfC Press Office on 028 9082 3505 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer on 028 90378110
- Follow us on Twitter.
- Reappointment of a Member of the Board of Trustees of WhoWhatWhereWhenWhy (W5) Ltd 13 August 2019
- Benefit fraud weekly review 13 August 2019
- Three men convicted at Belfast Magistrates’ Court of benefit fraud 13 August 2019
- Magherafelt pedestrian walkways transformed after £202,000 investment 09 August 2019