Social Development Minister, Lord Morrow MLA has welcomed the award of £140,000 to provide safe and attractive paving for a vital pedestrian route at Lower Strand Road and Boating Club Lane in Londonderry.
Minister Morrow said: “I am delighted to announce this funding and that work on the project will start soon. The new pathways will complement the high quality work already carried out by my Department to improve and revitalise nearby streets.
“I know that many towns and cities have really benefited from regeneration projects like this and I look forward to seeing a similar transformation in this part of Londonderry. The upgraded footways will mean that students, shoppers, diners and residents can easily get in and out of the centre of the city, giving an even greater boost to this vibrant area.”
The scheme is being delivered through TransportNI and is due to be finished by the end of March 2016.
Transport Minister Michelle McIlveen said: “This is an excellent example of how joint and co-ordinated working between Departments can deliver tangible improvements for the community.
“I look forward to the completion of the scheme and seeing the results of TransportNI’s contribution in terms of technical expertise delivered through our contract partners.”
Notes to editors:
- The works will include the upgrade of 1140m2 of footways. DSD is the sole funder of the Public Realm works to Strand Road from Lower Clarendon Street to Boating Club Lane costing £55,000 and works to Boating Club Lane costing £85,000
- The project will be delivered by DRD NITransport’s Measured Term Contractor
- Media enquiries to DSD Communications Team on 028 9082 9476 or email email@example.com. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07699 715 440 and your call will be returned
- COVID-19 Service Updates 06 April 2020
- Hargey pays tribute to the homelessness sector 06 April 2020
- Housing Executive rent increase put on hold due to Covid-19 06 April 2020
- Hargey Announces Thousands to Benefit from Food Parcels Service 05 April 2020