Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey has announced funding of £440k for the Strathfoyle Greenway project. The 2.7km extension to the popular Waterside Greenway will link Stradowen Drive in Strathfoyle to Derry city centre and the wider greenway network. It will also provide a commuting route to Foyle Port and Maydown.
Minister Hargey said:
“I am delighted that my Department has been able to provide £440k towards the Strathfoyle Greenway as part of a wider £2.64m funding package.
“The investment will enable local residents to lead a healthier active lifestyle through physical and outdoor activity and also provide greater connectivity between local communities and the city centre.
“This project is a great example of partnership working between various Departments and Council to deliver improvements for the local community.”
The greenway is being developed by Derry City and Strabane District Council in partnership with the Department for Communities, the Department for Infrastructure and the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs.
Mayor of Derry City and Strabane District Council, Alderman Graham Warke said,
“Strathfoyle Greenway is a key part of our greenway network, linking rural and urban communities.
“It will be a demonstration of how this kind of infrastructure can be built with people, biodiversity and climate change at its heart. I look forward to using the greenway when it opens next summer. I believe it will play a pivotal role in connecting communities in the Waterside to the city centre and inspiring people to change the way they commute.
“This project is a key element of our commitments in the Strategic Growth Plan to promote sustainable transport and green infrastructure."
Construction is due to commence early in 2022 and be completed by late 2022.
Notes to editors:
- Derry City and Strabane District Council will deliver the Strathfoyle Greenway to provide high quality, publicly accessible green space.
- The funding package is:
- DfC - £440,000
- DfI - £1,320,000
- DAERA - £440,000
- DCSDC - £440,400
- Media enquiries to DFC Press Office on email email@example.com.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow us on twitter @CommunitiesNI
- Change in delivery of the Affordable Warmth Scheme 02 June 2023
- Competition to appoint a new Commissioner to the Board of the Charity Commission for Northern Ireland 30 May 2023
- The re-appointment of two Members to the Board of Ulster Supported Employment Ltd (USEL) 19 May 2023
- Department consults on funding challenges 10 May 2023