Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey, today visited Currie Primary School in North Belfast, to officially open community facilities which had received a £144K investment from her Department.
The investment has improved the utility of a listed building and local landmark on the school site resulting in the enhancement of the support for local children and families already being provided by the school.
The school is planning to use the newly refurbished facilities as the base for its ‘McNest’ parent support programme, which drives social change through early intervention and school based bespoke family support services.
Speaking after a tour of the new facility Minister Hargey said:
“Currie Primary School has a strong community-based outlook and provides a range of support activities for parents and children and encourages good community relations through its positive relationship with neighbouring primary school Holy Family.
“The £144k investment, through my Department’s Neighbourhood Investment Fund, is aimed not just at the physical improvement to the facility but help Currie Primary School to continue to give extended support to local children and their families.
“I thank the school principal Ashleigh Galway for the continuing commitment of the school staff in supporting the local community and I hope this investment in these extended school facilities will enable Currie Primary School to sustain and enhance the fantastic support it provides for children and their families in the Mountcollyer area.”
Notes to editors:
1. Photo caption 1: Minister Hargey is pictured with the Principal Ashleigh Galway and Chairman of the Board of Governors at Currie Primary School John Lynass.
2. Photo caption 2: Minister Hargey is pictured in the library with pupils from Currie Primary School
3. Press enquiries to DfC Press Office
4. The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The Duty Press Officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
5. Follow us on twitter
- DfC to host cost-of-living information event at Coleraine Town Hall 27 January 2023
- DfC to host cost-of-living information event in West Belfast 23 January 2023
- Extension of appointments to the Board of Libraries NI 19 January 2023
- Líofa Gaeltacht Bursary Scheme opens for 2023 17 January 2023