A new £700,000 sports capital works programme will today be launched by Communities Minister Deirdre Hargey.
‘Building Better Sports Facilities’ aims to help the sports sector improve their physical sports infrastructure to support increased delivery of inclusive, safe and sustained participation in sport and physical activity.
Minister Hargey said:
“I am delighted to launch the Building Better Sports Facilities Programme for Sport which will provide sports groups with a capital grant of up to £25k to help modernise facilities in an environmentally friendly way and improve inclusive access.
“In the times we are in, it is vitally important that our communities can participate in sport within a Covid safe environment. This funding can go some way to helping organisations achieve this, which ultimately will help them to encourage more people from their local communities to get active and involved in sport.”
A maximum of £25,000 will be available for successful projects and eligible applicants will include sports clubs (affiliated to a Sport NI recognised governing body of sport) and community associations that have sport as a primary/main purpose and charities that have sport as primary purpose.
The programme opens today at 9am and closes on 4 October 2021 at noon.
The Programme will be managed and administered by Sport NI. Guidance notes and other relevant information is available on the Sport NI website including how to apply at Sport NI
Notes to editors:
1. The total project costs may go to (but not exceed) £30,000 depending on the VAT status of the applicant.
2. Media enquiries to DfC Press Office
3. Executive Information Service operates an out of hour’s service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The Duty Press Officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
4. Follow the Department on twitter @CommunitiesNI
- Communities Minister removes significant barrier to employment for parents 25 October 2021
- Hargey announces £37m housing project for Upper New Lodge 22 October 2021
- People who ‘Make the Call’ £90 a week better off, on average 20 October 2021
- Ending of the House Sales Scheme for tenants of Registered Housing Associations 20 October 2021