The first term of appointment of Professor Tim Harrison, Member (Science Specialist) of the Board of Trustees of W5, has been extended from 1 December 2018 to 31 May 2019.
He has been on the W5 Board of Trustees since 1 May 2013.
Notes to editors:
1. W5 is a company limited by guarantee with charitable status (registered with the Charity Commission for Northern Ireland NIC 100112). It is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Odyssey Trust Company Limited, a registered charity.
2. The main function of W5 is to contribute to the advancement of scientific knowledge and education. W5 is a popular visitor destination – over 3.5 million people have visited the facility since it opened 15 years ago. It also plays an active and innovative role in promoting tourism and, in doing so, makes an important contribution to the local economy particularly in its contribution to the development of the Titanic Quarter where it is located.
3. W5 provides creative and inspirational STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) learning experiences that add value to teachers, students and lifelong learners. It is the lead organisation for the STEM Ambassador Hub Northern Ireland.
4. The Trustee positions are unpaid, they receive expenses only.
5. Biographical details: Professor Harrison is currently Vice President Drug Discovery in Almac Discovery, a drug discovery company focusing on oncology. He joined Almac Sciences as Vice President Research and Development in 2006 from Merck Sharp and Dohme, one of the world’s leading international pharmaceutical companies. In addition to his Almac role, he is also the McClay Professor of Medicinal Chemistry at the Centre for Cancer Research and Cell Biology at Queen’s University Belfast, and is an author of more than 60 peer-reviewed scientific publications and inventor on more than 60 patents. He brings strong scientific, communication and business skills as well as commercial experience to the Board of W5. Professor Harrison was also Chair of the Business Group of the Northern Ireland STEM review. He has not undertaken any political activity in the last five years and holds no other public appointments.
6. Media enquiries to DfC Press Office on 028 9082 3532 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Hargey pays tribute to the homelessness sector 06 April 2020
- Housing Executive rent increase put on hold due to Covid-19 06 April 2020
- COVID-19 Service Updates 06 April 2020
- Hargey Announces Thousands to Benefit from Food Parcels Service 05 April 2020