The Department for Communities is hosting a two-week exhibition to celebrate the UN International Day of Persons with Disabilities.
The travelling exhibition, Disability on the Record, which was curated by the Department’s Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) and Disability Policy Branch, will explore the issues that have directly impacted upon the lives of Deaf and disabled people through the years. PRONI archives and additional source material are utilised to bring the experiences of people through those times to life.
The exhibition will be launched at the PRONI building, Titanic Quarter, Belfast, on Monday 28 November 2022 at 12pm. Michaela Hollywood, the respected disability rights advocate, will deliver a keynote speech sharing her experiences of living with a disability. The launch is a free event and is open to the public. Places to attend are limited and attendees must register here:
The exhibition will run from 28 November and will be open to the public from 9.00am to 4.45pm Monday to Friday until the 9 December 2022. Access is also free and booking is not required.
The travelling exhibition will next go on display at branch libraries across Northern Ireland in 2023 and is available to interested partners in sectoral organisations and the wider public sector.
Notes to editors:
- The UN International Day of Persons with Disabilities is celebrated each year on 3 December and aims to promote the rights and well-being of all disabled people.
- For those who wish to view the launch taking place on 28 November but are unable to attend, a live feed will be available from 12 pm to 1 pm via the PRONI Facebook page.
- More information on the launch event and wider exhibition can be obtained from Disability Policy email: or PRONI email:
- PRONI is located at 2 Titanic Boulevard ,Titanic Quarter, Belfast, BT3 9HQ. Information on how to get there is available here:
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries only between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Media enquiries to DFC Press Office via email:
- Follow the Department on Twitter @CommunitiesNI
- Disability on the Record exhibition opens ahead of the UN’s International Day for Persons with Disabilities 28 November 2022
- 21 November 2022
- Competition to appoint the Chair to the Board of National Museums NI 10 November 2022
- Join the conversation on the Duncairn Gardens Development Study 09 November 2022