Today the Executive agreed that from 24 July some spectators can attend organised outdoor sports fixtures or events where the sports Governing Body, club or venue operator can ensure compliance with social distancing, control numbers accordingly and have appropriate hygiene regimes in place.
The Executive also agreed that swimming pools can reopen. In reopening swimming pools, it is important that venue operators comply with environmental and health advice and where appropriate sports Governing Body protocols to deliver a safe return for swimmers.
Minister Carál Ni Chuilin said: “The Executive today recognised the importance of opening up sport again to spectators and reopening swimming pools to the general public and club swimmers.
“Permitting some spectators is an important step for those who spend their leisure time watching sport whether that be at an underage game or a professional event. It is important that we see a safe and sensible approach from everyone and that we realise that numbers and the arrangements for spectators will be very different for the foreseeable future.
“Reopening swimming pools is a significant step for those who enjoy swimming for leisure or as a competitive swimmer. It will greatly benefit those involved with their physical health and wellbeing and for many with their mental health.
“The decisions place enormous responsibility on Governing Bodies, clubs and venue operators as well as on individuals. The risk of this virus continues to be very real. Where possible, everyone must observe social distancing and good hygiene practices.”
Notes to editors:
- Media enquiries to DfC Press Office at Press Office
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @CommunitiesNI
- Job fairs go virtual in response to pandemic 26 February 2021
- Communities Minister launches public consultation on a new Strategy for Sport and Physical Activity 26 February 2021
- £25M Sports Sustainability Fund awards start to issue 25 February 2021
- Individual artists to be awarded a further £6.9 million 24 February 2021