Communities Minister Carál Ní Chuilín has appointed the following individuals as members to the Northern Ireland Local Government Officers’ Superannuation Committee (NILGOSC) from 1 October 2020 for a period of up to 4 years:
• Mr Kenneth Clayton
• Mr Alan Law
• Mr Shane McCurdy
• Mr Peter Moore
The appointments of the following members have been extended until 31 March 2021:
- Ms Sharon McQuillan (has served 2 terms from 1 July 2012 until 30 September 2020)
- Mrs Linda Neilan (has served 2 terms from 1 October 2011 until 30 September 2020)
Notes to editors:
- The Northern Ireland Local Government Officers’ Superannuation Committee (NILGOSC) was established in April 1950 to operate a pension scheme for the local councils and other similar bodies in Northern Ireland. The pension scheme is a defined benefit pension scheme. NILGOSC is the corporate body responsible for the administration of the Scheme and is a non-departmental public body, sponsored by the Department for Communities.
- The member positions are eligible for a daily allowance of £250 for a minimum commitment of two days per month.
- These appointments have been made in accordance with the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland Code of Practice.
- All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, the Commissioner for Public Appointments for Northern Ireland requires political activity of appointees to be published.
- Biographical details:
Mr Kenneth Clayton
Mr Clayton, now retired, was a Trade Union Coordinator in Belfast City Council through which he has a range of experience relating to industrial relations matters including as lead TU official in a range of negotiations. As a Union Branch Chair (Unite), he has held a range of positions in various committees and working groups such as the Local Government Joint Reform Group and the Unions Local Authority Pension’s Committee through which he gained experience in good governance and financial management. He holds no other public appointments and has had no political activity in the last 5 years.
Mr Alan Law
Mr Law is a Trade Union Official with NIPSA which involves leading in various negotiations with experience of developing and sustaining relationships with a range of stakeholders. He is currently the Chair of the Trustees of NIPSA’s Defined Benefit Pension Scheme through which he analyses investment reports, challenges assumptions and seeks advice from advisors. He has also experience in responding to consultations and developing policies which have covered finance functions and governance. He holds no other public appointments and has had no political activity in the last 5 years.
Mr Shane McCurdy
Mr McCurdy is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy. He is the current Head of Corporate Services at the Controlled Schools’ Support Council and a former Chief Executive and Accounting Officer of the North Eastern Education and Library Board (NEELB). In that role he was responsible for the management and governance of all matters relating to the affairs of the Board and educational support services. For many years he had been the Chief Finance Officer for the NEELB and he was the Interim Head of Finance for the Education Authority on its establishment in 2015. He holds no other public appointments and has had no political activity in the last 5 years.
Mr Peter Moore
Mr Moore is a Qualified Chartered Accountant employed by Translink with responsibility for economic appraisals and post project evaluations as well as other financial and economic matters. He has been, and continues to be, a member of a number of project boards where he provides a challenge function and looks to ensure consensus is reached, particularly in the area of project governance. He presents the Matters for Approval at Translink’s monthly executive meeting. His experience has allowed him to build effective relationships at all levels within Translink and the Department for Infrastructure. He holds no other public appointments and has had no political activity in the last 5 years.
Ms Sharon McQuillan
Ms McQuillan is currently the Deputy Chairperson of NILGOSC and is the Payroll / Pension Manager for Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council, where she is also a Trade Union Representative. Her career background is within local government in Northern Ireland where she has held a number of financial roles, experience of which she brings to the Committee. She holds no other public appointments and has had no political activity in the last 5 years.
Mrs Linda Neilan
Mrs Neilan is the Group Accounting Manager and Senior Finance Business Partner for Translink with responsibility for management and financial accounting, payroll and ticketing. A Fellow of Chartered Accountants Ireland, Linda spent her early career with Deloitte and is currently a member of the LGPS (NI) Scheme Advisory Board. She brings a range of financial skills and corporate governance experience to the member role. She holds no other public appointments and has had no political activity in the last 5 years.
6. Media enquiries via email to DfC Press Office
7. The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The duty press officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
8. Follow the Department on Twitter
- Individual artists to be awarded a further £6.5 million 24 February 2021
- Legislation protecting private renters extended 18 February 2021
- Minister Hargey announces over £1.3m for public realm school improvements 17 February 2021
- Sports Fund Hardship Fund issues £2m in awards 16 February 2021