Communities Minister Carál Ní Chuilín has appointed Bumper Graham as the new Chair to the Local Government Staff Commission for Northern Ireland from 5 October 2020 until dissolution.
The Local Government Staff Commission for Northern Ireland (the Commission) is an Executive Non-Departmental Public Body (NDPB), established under Section 40 and Schedule 3 of the Local Government Act (NI) 1972. Its powers were extended under the Housing (NI) Order 1976 and 1981 and the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) (NI) Order 1992.
The Commission was established for the purpose of exercising general oversight of matters connected with the recruitment, training and terms and conditions of employment of officers of district councils and of the Northern Ireland Housing Executive. Its powers were subsequently extended to monitor the fair employment practices of councils and their compliance with statutory requirements in relation to fair employment.
The Commission consists of a chairperson and not more than fourteen or fewer than six other members; and appointments are made by the Minister for the Department for Communities
Notes to editors:
- All appointments are made on merit and political activity plays no part in the selection process. However, CPA NI requires the political activity of appointees to be published.
Mr Bumper Graham
Mr Graham is a former Deputy General Secretary of NIPSA, and former Vice-Chair and Member of the NI Local Government Officers’ Superannuation Committee. He has served on LGSC as a Member since February 2013, before taking on the Chair role. He has a range of experience across the public sector including sitting on a range of pensions, finance and governance committees and sub-groups. Mr Graham has been appointed as the new Chairperson of the Northern Ireland Civil Service Pension Board by the Department of Finance from 29 September 2020 for a three-year term. It attracts a daily rate of remuneration of £404 plus travel and subsistence allowances. Mr Graham has had no political activity in the last five years.
- The LGSC Chairperson’s post attracts a salary of approximately £14,398 which is reviewed annually. The time commitment is 40 days per year.
- Media enquiries to DfC Press Office.
- The Executive Information Service operates an out of hours service for media enquiries between 1800hrs and 0800hrs Monday to Friday and at weekends and public holidays. The Duty Press Officer can be contacted on 028 9037 8110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter @CommunitiesNI
- Minister Publishes Expert Advisory Panel Reports on Social Inclusion Strategies 05 March 2021
- Competition to appoint new Members to the Board of Sport NI 04 March 2021
- Hargey announces £230,000 investment in Craigavon 03 March 2021
- Appointment of a Trustee to the Board of Governors and three Members to the Management Committee of Armagh Observatory and Planetarium 03 March 2021