Social Development Minister Lord Morrow MLA has welcomed the news that work on a new £82,000 play park at St Patrick’s Primary School, Crossmaglen, has been completed.
The new facility, which received part funding of £39,230 from the Department for Social Development (DSD) through the Areas at Risk Programme, provides a state of the art play area for the children of St Patrick’s Primary School and the surrounding housing estates. The project also received funding of £15,000 from the former Newry and Mourne District Council, £15,000 from the Friends of St Patrick’s Primary School, £10,000 from Awards for All and £2,450 from the Extended Schools Programme.
Lord Morrow said: “Play is an integral part of children’s development helping to build social skills and also promoting active and healthy lifestyles. This new play park will provide a much needed source of fun and enjoyment for young people and families in the area and will also enhance the local environment. I am pleased that my department has been able to provide funding for this very worthwhile project.”
The Chairman of Newry, Mourne and Down Council, Michael Ruane said: “I welcome this project which provides much needed play facilities for the children of this area. It is another example of DSD, in partnership with Newry, Mourne and Down District Council, helping to improve the quality of life for all residents of the area.”
Notes to editors:
- The ‘Areas at Risk Pilot Programme’ (AaR) was launched in June 2006 to provide support to communities outside the Noble 10% indicators of most disadvantaged but at risk of economic, social or environmental decline
- The programme focuses on building social cohesion within the area; confidence in dealing with neighbouring communities and building a wider sense of belonging
- For media enquiries please contact the DSD Press Office on 028 9082 9494 or email email@example.com. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07699715440 and your call will be returned
- COVID-19 Service Updates 06 April 2020
- Hargey pays tribute to the homelessness sector 06 April 2020
- Housing Executive rent increase put on hold due to Covid-19 06 April 2020
- Hargey Announces Thousands to Benefit from Food Parcels Service 05 April 2020