This impressive castle was built in 1618 by Sir Andrew Stewart, after whom nearby Stewartstown is named. Its plan is unusual among Plantation castles, with a central, three-storey square block and four sturdy circular towers at the corners. Cut-stone string courses outside indicate the floors inside and there are simple small windows at the higher levels. On the south side a high arch supported on corbels links the two towers, like an earlier defensive machicolation, but here not protecting the door and were probably for show. There are gun-loops in the towers at ground floor level and on the south-west tower the scar of the lost bawn wall can be seen. The castle was entered through the north-west tower, which also accommodated the spiral stair. The south-east tower is vaulted at ground floor level and fireplaces survive in the north wall. The floors were made of wood, but it is not clear how this unusual castle was roofed. The crannóg visible in Roughan Lough to the north-east was described as ‘O’Neill’s strongest island fort’ at the beginning of the 17th century, and Sir Phelim O’Neill was captured there in 1653.
Other historic places you can visit: