This is one of the most completely surviving tower houses in the county, retaining its gables and formerly an original wooden window (now removed from the site and conserved in the NIEA Built Heritage headquarters building in Belfast). There were at least two main phases of construction at this site. The ground floor, which had a stone vault, dates from the 15th century, while the upper parts were rebuilt in about 1600. It is rectangular in plan with small turrets at the north-east and south-west angles, one with the stair and the other with a latrine chute. There are large fireplaces on the first and second floors, and an attic in the roof. A distinctive stone rainwater spout projects from the east side.
The castle seems to have changed hands between Bryan McArt and the English in the early 16th century, and it is likely that the earlier castle was McArt’s stronghold, slighted when he withdrew, and rebuilt by the new English owner. Underwater investigation has confirmed the presence of a stone slipway beside the castle, and water transport was clearly of great importance in this location. Ringhaddy Church is on the hill beyond the castle.
Other historic places you can visit: