Historic Environment

Hillsborough: Richhill Gates

Hillsborough Castle
The Square
Royal Hillsborough
BT26 6AG


028 9082 3207

Additional information

Open to the public:

During opening hours (please check DiscoverNI website, charges may apply)

Grid reference:
SM number:
DOW 014:047

About Hillsborough: Richhill Gates

Facing the Courthouse at the entrance to Hillsborough Castle, moved from Richhill House, Co. Armagh, in 1936. These fine wrought iron gates and screen were made probably by Cornish immigrants to Armagh, the Thornberry brothers of Falmouth, and were set up at Richhill in 1745. Areas of plain railings are contrasted with exuberantly decorated panels, with an ‘overthrow’ bearing a coat of arms. The gates were repaired in 1936 and a further major renovation was completed in 1976. Hillsborough Castle, seen through the gates, was built by the Earl of Hillsborough in about 1760, but has been greatly enlarged and altered. Its extensive landscaped grounds contribute to the special atmosphere of Hillsborough, which is a conservation area.

Other historic places you can visit:

Hillsborough: Richhill Gates
Back to top