The tomb is built across the slope on a south-east-facing mountainside. Until the 1950s this was open grazing land with a farmhouse beside the monument, but it is now forested. It was excavated by Oliver Davies in 1938, but had been much disturbed by earlier excavation, reuse of stone for building and use as a pigsty. Davies found structural features, especially of the cairn kerb, which are now overgrown and invisible. This is, nevertheless, a fine example of a dual court tomb, with two two-chambered galleries sharing a common backstone.
The court to the south-west is roughly semicircular but has been disturbed. It opens into two chambers built of huge limestone slabs. The north-east court is a half oval in shape and the two chambers are made of smaller stones. Finds included small fragments of burned bone of a child or children and the burned remains of a youth. There were also some animal bones, plain and decorated Neolithic bowls, flint implements and a stone bead. Two barbed and tanged flint arrowheads indicate some early Bronze Age activity here.
Other historic places you can visit: