Social Development Minister, Mervyn Storey MLA, has announced the appointment of a Lisburn contractor to get improvement works underway in Larne town centre.
The areas to benefit from the Public Realm works include Agnew Street, Quay Street, Main Street, Broadway, Main Street Upper and High Street.
The improvement works will include:
- Laying of granite stone paving
- Developing Broadway as a central events space
- New street lighting and furniture
- Creating planted areas
Earney Contracts of Lisburn have already begun pre-construction works, with the full works due to start at the end of July. The scheme is expected to be completed by July 2016.
Minister Storey said: “This is a major investment for Larne and will see significant improvements to the centre of the town and enhancements to the open space at Broadway which will make the town more attractive to its residents, traders, visitors and investors.
“I have seen how Public Realm improvement schemes in other towns have created a more attractive environment, and how these have helped improve the vitality of the area. I know that those who live, work and represent Larne are giving their full support to this scheme and I look forward to seeing this work progress over the next year.”
Councillor Billy Ashe, Mayor of Mid and East Antrim Borough Council said: “The Larne town centre Public Realm scheme is a major investment by the Council and its partners totalling just under £2.2million.
“Mid and East Antrim Council is delighted that Earney Contracts Ltd have been appointed for this exciting project as the scheme is one of the key projects within the Masterplan for the regeneration of Larne town centre.
“Everyone will be working closely together to ensure that shoppers and visitors are welcomed to the town centre and businesses are promoted and supported while the improvements are being carried out.”
Notes to editors:
- The Department for Social Development contributed £899,000 to the Larne Public Realm Scheme, with Mid and East Antrim Borough Council contributing £1,256,000
- For media queries please contact the DSD Press Office on 028 90 829494 or alternatively you can email: email@example.com. For out of hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07699 715440 and your call will be returned