A Universal Credit information roadshow has taken place in Enniskillen.
The Universal Credit team met with stakeholders from the advice, housing and voluntary and community sector to provide an update about the introduction of Universal Credit and future plans for when existing benefit claimants move to Universal Credit.
Universal Credit Programme Director, David Sales said: “The recent programme of welfare reform is the biggest change to the benefit and tax credit system in many decades. We are committed to developing and strengthening relationships between local Jobs and Benefits offices and local advice and community groups to ensure that claimants are supported through these significant changes.
“Today’s session follows on from previous information sessions and builds on feedback we have received as well as providing an update on progress to date and the next steps for the further rollout of Universal Credit.”
Notes to editors:
- Universal Credit replaces Jobseeker's Allowance (income based), Employment Support Allowance (income-related), Income Support, Housing Benefit (rental), Working Tax Credit and Child Tax Credits for people aged over 18 and under State Pension age.
- It is currently only available for new claimants although some claimants in receipt of the impacted benefits may move to Universal Credit earlier, where their circumstances have changed.
- Existing claimants of these benefits who do not have a change in their circumstances will move to Universal Credit between 2020 and 2023; the Department will advise claimants what they need to do when it is time to move to Universal Credit.
- Roadshows are also taking place in Belfast, Newry and Derry/Londonderry
- Media enquiries to DfC Press Office on 028 9082 3502 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 90378110.
- Follow the Department on Twitter
- Young ambassadors empowered to deliver change in their community 19 February 2020
- Work underway on upgrade of Derry’s Bonds Hill 10 February 2020
- Ministers launch Special Olympics Ireland Winter Games 05 February 2020
- Appointment of one Councillor to the Board of Libraries NI 05 February 2020