The first official statistics for Personal Independence Payment in Northern Ireland were published by the Department for Communities today.
These statistics are classed as experimental. Experimental statistics are new official statistics undergoing evaluation. They are published in order to involve users and stakeholders in their development and as a means to build in quality at an early stage.
Unless stated otherwise, the figures are from June 2016 to July 2017. Key findings include:
- As at July 2017, almost 60,000 PIP claims had been registered.
- There were 43,000 claims cleared to July 2017 with 22,450 (53%) being awarded PIP at the initial decision.
- The award rate (based on initial decision) for New Claims overall has been 41%, while the award rate for DLA Reassessed claims has been 64%. The overall award rate is currently 53%.
- The average (median) clearance time, from the date a claim is registered to the initial decision being made, was 13 weeks.
- Almost 24,000 claimants were in receipt of PIP at July 2017.
- The volume of DLA Reassessed claimants in receipt of PIP was 14,810 at July 2017.
- Over a quarter (29%; 7,030) of claimants are awarded the enhanced rate for both the daily living and mobility components.
- Psychiatric Disorders (39%; 9,220) is the most prominent main disabling condition.
Notes to editors:
- The Northern Ireland Personal Independence Payment statistics provides an up to date and concise overview of available data
- The summary is based on data from the introduction of PIP on 20 June 2016 to 31 July 2017. Statistics are based on 100% samples of information
- This is the first publication of Personal Independence Payment statistics in Northern Ireland. Future releases will be notified in accordance with UK Statistics Authority protocols
- These statistics can be found on the DfC website
- All media queries should be directed to the Department for Communities Press Office on: 028 9082 3516 or email email@example.com. Out of office hours please contact the duty press officer via pager number 07623 974 383 and your call will be returned.
- Two convicted of benefit fraud 20 April 2018
- Fine for £10,000 benefit fraud 20 April 2018
- Armagh man convicted of benefit fraud 20 April 2018
- Three convicted at Newtownards Magistrates’ Court of benefit fraud 20 April 2018